2 tbsp olive oil
2 small eggplants, diced
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
500 g | 18 oz | 3 1/4 cups ground lamb
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
475 g | 17 oz | 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
250 ml | 9 fl oz | 1 cup lamb broth, or chicken broth
500 g | 18 oz | 6 cups plain Greek-style yogurt, to serve
1 handful mint leaves, finely chopped
1 handful dill, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven set over a medium heat. Add eggplant, onion and garlic, and sweat with a pinch of salt until softened, 6-7 minutes.
- Add ground lamb and brown all over before stirring in dried oregano and spices. Stir in crushed tomatoes and lamb broth.
- Bring to a simmer before cooking over a slightly reduced heat for 30-40 minutes; stir from time to time.
- When ready, season lamb sauce with salt and pepper as needed. Cover and keep warm to one side.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until ‘al dente’ 10-12 minutes usually.
- Drain when ready and spread out on a serving platter. Spoon sauce on pasta and top with a generous dollop of Greek-style yoghurt.
- Sprinkle with the chopped herbs before serving.