Ingredients for the Dough
300 g | 11 oz all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp fine salt
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
150 – 200 ml | 5 – 7 fl oz lukewarm water, plus extra as needed
Ingredients for the Toppings
600 g | 21 oz ground New Zealand Spring Lamb
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 dried red chili
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder, plus extra to serve
250 g | 9 oz frozen peas, thawed
250 ml | 9 fl oz lamb broth
250 g | 9 oz plain yogurt
2 green chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the extra-virgin olive oil and 150 ml | 5 fl. oz water.
- Mix to a smooth dough, adding more flour or water as needed if too dry or wet; it should be soft and even. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Divide in half and roll out into ovals approximately 0.5 cm | 0.25″ thick. Lift onto baking sheets and brush all over with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (210° fan) | 450F | gas 8.
- For the toppings: Heat a Dutch oven over a moderate heat until hot. Season lamb with salt and pepper before adding to the Dutch oven and browning all over, breaking it up with a spoon. Remove to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, dried red chili and a pinch of salt to rendered fat in the Dutch oven, sautéing for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in spices and cook for 2 minutes until aromatic. Stir in peas and broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat until peas are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon lamb keema onto the dough, stopping about 2.5 cm | 1″ short of the perimeter all the way around.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden-brown at the edges and cooked through underneath.
- Remove from oven and top with dollops of yogurt, some sliced chili peppers, cilantro leaves, and a pinch of chili powder, if desired, before slicing and serving.