2000 g | 71 oz New Zealand Spring Lamb Shoulder, on the bone, trimmed
4 tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch young carrots, with stems, split in half
6 celery stalks, peeled
4 shallots, or small onions, halved
6 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
2 – 3 rosemary sprigs
200 ml | 7 fl oz dry white wine
mashed potato, to serve
lamb gravy, to serve
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (210° fan) | 450F | gas 8.
- Make several incisions in the lamb using a sharp knife. Season with plenty of salt and pepper on both sides. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and then rub the oil into the meat.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, shallots, garlic, and rosemary sprigs in a large roasting dish and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, tossing to coat.
- Sit the lamb on top of the vegetables and pour the wine around the dish.
- Roast for 10 minutes before reducing the oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3.
- Continue to roast for about 1 hour 30-45 minutes until the thickest part of the meat registers at least 63°C | 145F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes, covered loosely with aluminium foil.
- Serve with mashed potato and gravy on the side.