Ingredients for Lamb
1 New Zealand Spring Lamb Shoulder, ~3 lb, on the bone and trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 large red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into strips
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
225 g | 8 oz | 1 1/2 cups green olives
2 – 3 tbsp raisins
500 ml | 18 fl oz | 2 cups lamb broth, or chicken broth
freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 fresh ginger root piece, ~2″, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 tbsp ground turmeric
200 ml | 7 fl oz | 7/8 cup lamb broth, or chicken broth
300 ml | 11 fl oz | 1 1/3 cups coconut milk, full-fat
1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3. Rub lamb shoulder with olive oil and season with the spices, 1 tsp salt and 0.5 tsp pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven over a high heat until hot. Sear lamb in Dutch oven until golden-brown all over, and then remove to one side.
- Add peppers, onion and garlic to the Dutch oven with a generous pinch of salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, raisins and broth. Bring to a simmer and then position the lamb on top.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Braise for 3.5-4 hours, basting from time to time, until the lamb is tender and coming away from the bone.
- When ready, remove from oven and let rest, still covered, as you prepare the sauce.
- For the sauce: Heat olive oil in a saucepan set over a medium heat until hot. Add onion, ginger, garlic and a generous pinch of salt, sautéing until golden, 7-9 minutes.
- Sprinkle over turmeric and cook over a reduced heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and coconut milk, bringing to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Purée in a food processor until smooth before adjusting to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- To serve: Heat olive oil in a large frying pan set over a high heat until hot. Season mango with salt before frying in the hot oil until golden-brown at the edges.
- Remove lamb from Dutch oven and cut into pieces. Spoon vegetables, olives, raisins and sauce from onto plates, presenting lamb on top.
- Pour turmeric sauce around plates and garnish with fried mango before serving.