6 New Zealand Spring Lamb shanks (3 per pack)
1/2 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 head of garlic
1 white onion
1 tbsp oregano
1 can of chipotle adobo sauce
Toppings: red onions, cilantro, grated white cheddar cheese, salsa verde, limes
- Pressure cook for 40 minutes (Or cook for 6-8 hours in a slow cooker on low heat).
- Pull apart the lamb shanks into shredded pieces.
- Toast each corn tortilla filling it with lamb, diced red onions, cilantro & white cheddar cheese.
- In a food processor or blender, mix 2 adobo peppers, half the onion and garlic from the pressure cooker to make the classic Birria dipping sauce.
- Serve with fresh lime & salsa verde.
Recipe credits: @champagneang