Ingredients for the Lamb Shanks
2 large New Zealand Spring Lamb Shanks, about ~1 lb 8 oz each
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 small onions, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large celery sticks, diced
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 rosemary sprig
2 thyme sprigs
2 tbsp mixed peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp cornstarch
300 ml | 11 fl oz | 1 1/3 cups dry red wine
700 ml | 25 fl oz | 3 cups lamb broth
freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Vegetables
1250 g | 44 oz | 8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
120 g | 4 oz | 1/2 cup butter, cubed
100 ml | 3 1/2 fl oz | 7 tbsp heavy cream
4 large parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into batons
2 tbsp butter, melted
To serve: thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130° fan) | 300F | gas
- Trim shanks with a sharp paring knife, cutting away excess fat and gristle.
- Heat oil in a casserole set over a high heat until hot. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper before searing in the hot oil until golden-brown all over. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, herbs, peppercorns and 0.5 tsp salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes before stirring in the tomato paste and cornstarch. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, before deglazing with wine.
- Let wine reduce by half before returning shanks to the dish. Pour in broth and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover dish with a tight-fitting lid.
- Braise in the oven for about 2-2.5 hours until meat is coming away from the shanks.
- Remove from oven and remove shanks from the dish, wrapping loosely in aluminum foil. Let rest to one side. Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan) | 400F | gas 6.
- Pass vegetables and gravy from the dish through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on the aromatics to release as much liquid as possible; return the peppercorns to the sauce.
- Season gravy with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the vegetables: Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until tender to the tip of a knife, 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook parsnips and carrots in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until just tender to the tip of a knife, 10-12 minutes.
- Drain well and toss with melted butter and some salt and pepper to taste in a roasting dish. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until golden-brown.
- Drain potatoes when ready and pass through a ricer into a mixing bowl. Beat in the butter and then the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve: Spoon mashed potatoes onto serving plates and top with the shanks. Arrange roasted vegetables on plates and spoon gravy on top.
Garnish with thyme sprigs before serving.