2 New Zealand racks of lamb, French trimmed
200g/7oz soft cheese
100g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
30ml/2 tbsp. fresh chopped tarragon
15ml/1 tbsp. milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g/2oz flaked almonds
For the base
65g/1½lb potatoes, scrubbed
1 large onion, finely chopped
15ml/1 tbsp. fresh chopped tarragon
- Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and coarsely grate into a bowl.
- Heat the butter, sauté the onion until starting to soften, then mix in the potato with the tarragon and plenty of seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Shape potato into 6 rounds on a baking tray.
- Cut each rack into three between the bones. Mix the cheese with the breadcrumbs, tarragon and milk. Add seasoning, then spread the mixture over the top of the meat.
- Cover the tips of the bones with foil, then place one on each potato base. Press the almonds into the cheese topping then bake for 15 minutes until crisp and brown. Serve with a salad.
Hints and Tips
- If fresh tarragon is not available, use half the required amount of dried.
- Prepare the rosti base and the cheese topping up to 12 hours before required, then assemble prior to cooking.